Revised: January 2013
The Virginia State DanceSport Championships are conducted under the rules of the N.D.C.A. and all their rules apply
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE REFER TO THE RULES AND REGULATIONS AT WWW.NDCA.ORG
In addition to the following rules :
1. If you are a Professional or a Professional dancing in Pro/Am or an Amateur competitor you must be registered with the NDCA. To register contact Eleanor Wiblin at NDCA, P.O. Box 22018, Provo, Utah, 84062; 801-422-8124 or Fax 801-378-3734. If you register at the competition, there will be an NDCA directed surcharge.
2. The organizers have hired the most qualified, Championship Adjudicators and Scrutineers available. The Chairperson of Judges shall be the sole arbiter on decisions concerning ties, penalties, and other judges’ decisions.
3. Male Competitors are required to wear numbers. Showcases, solos, and Formations are exempt.
4. No lifts, drops, or floor drags permitted in Pro/Am or Amateur closed categories.
5. The On-Deck system will be used for lineup for competition heats. Competitors must check in with the On Deck Captain and be prepared to compete at least 30 minutes before the time scheduled.
6. It is the responsibility of competitors to verify the correctness of entries, dances, and partners IN ADVANCE of the time scheduled for heats. You will be provided with “heat sheets” at registration.
7. No teacher will be permitted to compete with one of his/her students against another.
8. The organizers reserve the right to cancel or merge any competition with fewer than 3 entries.
9. All syllabi approved by the NDCA are allowed for all closed and open categories competed in at this competition. Invigilators and the chairperson of judges have been instructed to be cognizant of this fact when considering penalties.
10. Competitors dancing in OPEN categories are not required to stay within the parameters of step lists. You may do whatever your talents and experience allow you to do. Everything, however, must be within the bounds of good taste.
11. Refunds due to cancellations before the deadline will be processed after the competition. Doctor’s certificate required for refunds after deadline. Package and/or Entry cancellations and/or room reservations made after June 27, 2013 will not be eligible for a refund.
12. There will be no credit given for cancellations made at the competition. Any changes made at the competition, due to no fault of the Organizer, will be assessed at $20 per change. PLEASE CHECK CONFIRMATION INFORMATION PRIOR TO COMING TO COMPETITION.
13. Age Categories: [A]. Adult Competitors may enter, in addition to their regular age, TWO age categories younger than his/her regular age. (i.e. Ladies B can dance in Ladies A3 and Ladies A2 as well as Ladies B)
14. Students may enter up to THREE CATEGORIES above his/her normal level of dancing. The Novice and Newcomer Events are not considered full categories. Development Division and Smooth Closed Hold are not considered full categories and may be danced in addition. Anyone may enter Open championships.
15. Pro/Am Scholarships:
A. This is an Adult only, unisex competition
B. Pro/Am Students must compete in the same number of freestyle dances as per each scholarship entered. These qualifying free-styles must be in the same level, style, and category as the scholarship. I.e.: three bronze ballroom single dances qualify you for the bronze ballroom closed scholarship.
C. Championship or multi-dance categories count as ONLY ONE of the qualifying dance requirements.
D. ANY open scholarship has no syllabus restrictions.
E. Scholarships are open to all adult students who fulfill requirements regardless of age or sex. Male and females students and ages are combined and compete against the other.
F. Note! If work, school, or another valid reason prevents a competitor from being at the competition when the qualifying freestyle dances are scheduled, showcase routines in the same level and category may be substituted for the deficient number of dances. The organizers must be notified if this situation exists so showcases can be scheduled before the pertinent scholarship is danced.
16. Top Teacher Requirements:
A. There is no entry fee for Top Teacher
B. This is a unisex competition.
C. Teachers DO NOT have to be on a package in order to be eligible for top teacher awards.
D. Teachers ARE NOT required to have a specific number of students competing to qualify.